Can you rent a yacht in Italy – do I need a license?

Small boats (under a certain horsepower or length), electric boats, crewed yacht charters, and gulet charters may not require a license. Larger boats or those with more powerful engines need a skipper’s license. Before you confirm your sailing trip to Italy, please send us a copy and we will check it for you. You need to have the original copies on board, so don’t forget to take them.
To sail in Italy, one of the following qualifications is necessary:
• ICC (International Certificate of Competence), with valid Navigational and VHF licenses,
Prerequisites: RYA “Day Skipper Course” or complete the ICC Assessment form to prove competence
from previous experience.
• IPC (International Proficiency Certificate), America
Prerequisites: ASA 104 or US Sailing “Bareboat Cruising Course”
• NauticEd SLC (International Sailing License and Credentials), International
• UK – RYA Day Skipper practical
• USA – US Sailing “Bareboat Cruising Course”, ASA “104 Bareboat Cruising Course” or above
• Germany – “Sportbootführerschein See“ or above
• Belgium – Algemeen Stuurbrevet/ Brevet de conduite général
If you do not have a skipper license, it is also possible to rent a boat with a skipper

Rate this page